Monday, August 22, 2011

Duchesse de Bourgogne

(Brouwerij Verhaeghe, Belgium, 6.2 % EtOH) 


So, the Wikepedia article on this one hilariously states that, and I quote, "The name of the beer is meant to honor Duchess Mary of Burgundy, the sole daughter of Charles the Bold, born in Brussels in 1457, who died young in a horse riding accident." I guess if it's good enough for Superman, it's good enough for her, and a good enough story to become the namesake for a beer. Thankfully, I suffered no horse-related trauma either whilst purchasing or consuming this brew. I did discover that it's one of those "Flemish style" reds that are, as I learned recently, often sour. Like the Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour, only more balanced and toned down, like they were using jolly ranchers instead of lemonheads to achieve their puckering effect. To be perfectly honest I was pleasantly surprised; "Duchess" is a little sweet, modestly sour, a tad fruity (instead of, like, totally flaming) and overall quite mellow.  I could definitely get cozy with a few of these fine retro ladies on a moonlit night. Mmmhmm.

3.5 Jenkins (Hopefully the wife didn't see that last part)

No comments:

Post a Comment